Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bursting the Gay Cloud (again)

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:29:18 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Bursting the Gay Cloud (again)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

K Bacon <s340090@student.uq.edu.au> replies:

>(Mark Wegner) writes:
>>Sorry to ramble. but this "Cloudbursting is
>>about being gay" thread makes me want to puke...
>
>Really?  Go ahead then.  When people tell me they want to puke when hearing
>gay issues, I always encourage them to follow through...perhaps it would be
>good for you to vomit that homophobic garbage out of your system.  Either
>that, or open your mind and educate yourself.  It might be easier to puke,
>but the rewards are greater when you open your mind.

Right on! Though my opinion have differed from yours before,
this time I have to agree.

Most of us reading the various side-threads sprung from the
initial Cloudbusting-question agrees that everyone has the right
to his/hers opinion. Although I grant Mark the right to his opinion,
he should show proper respect!
Samantha has eloquently defended her position well,
(as has Brian Dillard) but someone's statement that
"The whole point of literature/art has really passed you by,
hasn't it ?" is also disrespectful in my opinion.

Donna writes:

>Many years ago, I had the opportunity to watch an artist at work.  I
>just sat there and watched as he worked on a charcoal drawing that was
>extremely - well, I guess surreal.  after watching in silence for
>about 10- 20 minutes I asked him "What does it mean?"  He said "What
>does it mean to you?"  Me:  "I know what it means to *me*, I want to
>know what you are putting into it."

This is exeptionally well put. And it points out a perspective that
I myself feel Sam and Brian has missed. Samantha is trying to figure
out what Kate put into Cloudbusting, where Brian argues against her
that third-person's interpretation techniques are their own to decide.

Don smugly sends Steve Tutt on the quest of asking Kate.
The more experiensed Love-Hounds have come to recognize the fact
that the quest is unfortunatly futile.

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se