Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Your son's coming out"/ambiguous Kate lyrics

From: "John D. Walker" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:39:00 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: "Your son's coming out"/ambiguous Kate lyrics
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Marcel -

To answer a couple of questions - yes, "coming out" has more meanings in
English than the oft-used homosexual proclaming to the world that he/she
is gay. I think we can take this line at face value, rather than reading
a lot into it. Your friend's interpretation had occured to me at one
point as being something someone would wonder about.

IMHO, It's indeed a play on words, but not the phrase "coming out". Rather,
son/sun. As in: "Your son's coming out"/"Your sun's coming out."

You can take this one line at least four different ways:
1) The big yellow ball that warms the earth is coming out from behind the
clouds.
2) The kid takes over where dad left off.
3) The kid is homosexual and has decided to tell dad before he is locked
up.
and, last but not least:
4) The big yellow ball that warms the earth is homosexual. (Note for the
humor impaired: THIS IS A JOKE. I DO NOT MEAN TO IMPLY THAT THE SUN IS GAY.)

This is pretty amazing in itself, that one simple line can have so many
different meanings. I'm sure it's no accident that this line is so
ambiguous. KT lyrics are open to so many different interpetations - I'm
thinking of the line "I know you have a little life in you yet, I know
you have a lot of strength left" from "This Woman's Work", which is another
one that you can take a couple of different ways.

Toodles,

JW      jdwalker@post.smu.edu

Enter the Realm - the LOCHINVAR Home Page!
http://members.aol.com/LordLknvar/realm.htm
Email: LordLknvar@aol.com