Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)

From: Peter Chow <peter.chow@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 02:21:57 +0000
Subject: Re: Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

heisjohn@juno.com wrote:

> Will wrote:
> >> Kim wrote:
> >> There is a difference between 'what a song means to me' and
> >> 'what a song is about' (as in 'what is the story the song is
> telling').

> Wow!  I can't relate to this at all.  If *MY* yo-yo glowed in the dark
> when I was a teenager, I certainly wouldn't have buried it!  ...or am I
> missing something here?  :-)

In the book, his father believed that the light emitted by the coating
on the yo-yo was harmful (especially when interacting with the other
energy stuff he believed in). He instisted that the boy bury it at the
far end of the garden for safety. Given that this was the fifties it was
probably a sound decision as most glow-in-the-dark things then were
based on the isotope Radium. I have a cousin that has an old
radio-active fishing float that gives off a strong green light.

In fact it's difficult to tell whether Wilhelm really knew what the
danger was because he also thought fluorescent lights were bad for the
same reason. He thought all cold lights were bad because they did not
have the same 'energy' as Sunlight. This is true but his method of
testing was that the sun could drive one of those EMR emission motor
toys (the kind with 4 vanes, painted white and black, on a bearing in a
vacuum flask) whilst a FL tube could not. His theory was that it was the
Orgone energy that made it turn and FL tubes emitted DOR that made it
slow down. Hey, it was the Fifties - he could believe what he liked!
Meanwhile back on planet Earth...

Peter.