Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: love-hounds-digest Digest V13 #276

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 21:13:19 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: love-hounds-digest Digest V13 #276
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Brian Dillard <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

>Sam wrote:
>--------
>The basic hermaneutical process is
>to first get to the root of the author's meaning and the message he/she
>consciously intented to relay.  That is *interpretation*, which is the
>part of the process in which our mind's work takes precedence.
>--------
[snip]

> .....That
>model worked a hundred or 200 years ago when most art was "consumed" in
>a mode of passive reflection

I always thought "most art" was still consumed with passive reflection.
This may offend some people, but I think Love-Hounds belong to a small
group of people that does not, while the majority still does.

> But considering that most people today wouldn't be sitting
>at home quitely poring over A Book of Dreams, reading the lyric sheet
>and attempting Biblical-style exegesis of the song, I don't think you
>can insist that Kate's "intended meaning" should be seen as the starting
>point for interpretation and/or application.

I think it can, (but not as strictly biblical-style as you imply
that Sam meant), why else did Kate bother to tell us about the
background of Cloudbusting. As I said: Love-Hounds are a more
critical bunch of people, and thus we take more care about how
we go about our interpretation.

>When the medium of
>transmission is radio or TV, meaning is determined as much by the other
>images and sounds juxtaposed with the text as by the text itself.

True, and Kate reinforced the connection to A Book of Dreams by
the images in the video, including the book itself.

>When you hear a snatch of lyrics ... "you're son's coming out" ... while
>flipping through the radio dial, you don't have the rest of the song
>lyrics or Kate's bio or Reich's book to steer your reception.

No, you don't. But then again, everybody knows that you can not
derive the meaning from a single sentence. I think it is wrong to
even try. Unfortunatly some still try. Take the example of:

Fiona (MCQUARRF@ucfv.bc.ca) wrote:
>With the October issue of Q (excellent British music mag) there is a free
>cassette of "cruisin' classics" - including Ms. Kate's "Running Up the Hill".
>However, in the accompanying notes in the magazine itself, it says:
>"....According to the astonishing lyric, she wished to swap places with no less
>than God. Pushing things a tad, even for Kate."

As you see, "Q" winding up with a not too accurate interpretation.
Jehovas' Whitnesses (in Sweden at least) also have a tendency of
taking biblical quotes and putting them in a different context.

>To say that a
>fleeting interpretation of a snatch of a song is invalid is to ignore
>the fact that people can and will derive meaning from such fragmentary
>texts, and that the meaning they derive will be based on their personal
>experiences and the circumstances of their encounter with that text
>rather than by the author's intent or the historical facts that inspired
>the text.

Yes, that's true, but in this case, a person came with a question
to us in the belief that we did indeed know the full context of the
song.

> The only realm where interpretation has ever been controllable
>is in the academy, where rigorous intellectual methods are applied to
>"high art" texts and a critical concensus is achieved _because the
>players have to stick to the rules._

Though I agree with Sam for the most part, I have to agree somewhat
with you too, in this case. I don't like the idea of a tightly
controlled method of intellectual interpretation of "High art".
Who's to decide what I think, and who decides what is High Art.
I think Kate Bush's songs are high art.

>But with popular art and mass media, circumstance, juxtaposition,
>personal experience and the like will always render such
>_rules_ invalid.

It's the MTV-pop-culture that has rendered such rules invalid,
and I think discarding the traditional way lessens our lives.
Perhaps a mixture of both would be preferable.

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se