Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: coming out

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:57:00 -0000
Subject: Re: coming out
To: "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Kim wrote: "I... am curious as to why [Wow]...is considered in this
way." [as a gay song]

I think in this case, Kate's own interpretation was pretty clear. As
well as the line "(he'll never) be that movie queen" the video has the
classic shot of Kate singing sticking out her backside and patting it
whilst singing the words"he's too busy, hitting the vaseline"   It was
clear enough for the BBC for them to ban the video from the early
evening pop music programmes.

Kim is spot-on that those of us who experience homophobia often
encounter it in much more subtle ways than someone saying "gay is bad".
Not commenting on many postings about alternative views on a song and
then responding with the level of harshness we have seen to the posting
about a gay interpretation of cloudbusting is homophobic in my view. I
actually don't share this interpretation, but that's far from the point.

I could go on, but I'm getting tired of this. (and a bit sad at some of
the responses from Love-hounds)

Mike