Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: coming out

From: K Bacon <s340090@student.uq.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 23:24:52 +1000
Subject: Re: coming out
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 13:29 28/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, K Bacon wrote:
>
>>         [Of] course the fact that some people have
>> *only ever* gone out of their way in *this case* to disprove a *gay*
>> interpretation would have *NOTHING* to do with homophobia, would it guys :)
>
>No, as a matter of fact it wouldn't.
>Nobody said being gay was bad. Nobody criticized homosexuality. People
>just think "Cloudbusting" isn't about coming out. That's not homophobic.
>That's just an opinion. You calling them homophobes is a really cheap
>shot.

        Interesting how yet another person fails to understand my reasons in
my emails, particularly in this case in which I even *asterisked* them.  I
am not saying that if a person - who genuinely believes in highly
restricting song interpretation - does not believe that it refers to 'coming
out' as gay that it makes them homophobic.  HOWEVER, as you will see from my
*asterisks*, I was referring to the fact that some people have *only*
(should I put double asterisks to make it clearer?) spoken out about the gay
interpretation.  One emailer - Wayne F on Oct 25th - spoke about his
interpretation in regards to his personal experience.  I thought Wayne's
post was really great, so *I* really appreciated it.  But surely if there
are people here who believe in restricting interpretation, they should have
equally 'discussed' (or should I say say ridicule, as some did to the gay
interpretation) his email?  What about my other suggestion of Guilford
Four/In the Name of the Father?  That wasn't rubbished either.
        "Nobody said being gay was bad".  Hmm, I agree with you literally,
but unfortunately as you may or not know, prejudice doesn't have to be
expressly written down, or spoken to exist.  There are many times where
indirect prejudice occurs (particularly nowadays), and you have to be either
in a marginalised group, or otherwise be aware of social justice issues to
notice it.  People may not have stated that "gay is bad", but I still think
some people's homophobic beliefs have been stated enough by their email
expressions, and *exclusive* treatment of what emails to respond to ie. thes
one with gay content.
        Bottom line: people can express/practice homophobia (or sexism,
misogyny, racism etc..) without stating "gay is bad".  Accusing someone of
making "cheap shots" simply because they have a greater insight into
indirect homophobia (which is true - I face it every f#&$ing day in one way
or another) is really a bit naive.

>Kate has written some beautiful songs that have gay themes (Wow, Eddie the
>Queen, others). Most of us are aware of that and it is one of the reasons
>many people like Kate.
>Stu

        I am actually confused about Wow - I continually hear this song
mentioned when gay issues come up, but (despite the view by some emailers
that gay people *only* think of gay interpretations), I actually am curious
as to why this song is considered in this way.  Yeah, I know about the
'vaseline'...but this doesn't convince me.  I would hate to imagine that it
is based on the stereotype that a stuck-up, egotistical male actor "*must*
be gay" - (this can be disproved by looking at Tom Cruise!!  Sorry :)).  So
what's the story?!!

Kim :)