Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re:Oh by the way

From: Kyri <Kyrie@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 19:44:58 -0400
Subject: re:Oh by the way
To: "INTERNET:love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: Kyri <Kyrie@compuserve.com>

>> As I typed last time, people should be given the freedom to
interpret songs how they wish, EVEN if the song-writer based the song on
something specific (such as a childhood book).<<

Yes but that is something people at least who listen to Kate (and Tori and
Happy in my case) should be taking for granted. Isn't the whole point of a
song to feel a different story/ to have a different experience each time
you hear it...
My point and I believe Lane's is that 'yes understand the song as you wish
to but the original meaning/the aritist's meaning is not how you (yourself)
have interpreted it (In our opinion)'

>>It is a worry that homophobia is prompting some people on this list
to send their self-righteous views on what the "correct" way of
interpreting
the song is.<<

You are making assumptions again. I'm certainly not homophobic.

>> *however*, when I listen to the song I still like
to interpret the song as though a son is 'coming out' (i.e. as gay) to his
father.  <<

Re: above about each person understanding the song in his/her own way. But
in any case you've raised this point yourself.

>>Kate didn't write the song for this reason, but I don't think
people should be laughed at, or be denied their own personal view.  <<

It was a friendly giggle :))

>> Perhaps some of you should lighten up and think what music is really
about.  If you genuinely believe that EVERY SINGLE person MUST have the
same
interpretation as Kate (or yourself) then so be it, but I feel that this is
an egotistical approach to Kate's work (and even an insult).<<

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions.
I certainly don't believe that. But then again the 'you' refers to a whole
not any individual. Ergo, a generalisation is made. I hate
generalisations..we're all so different from the other...hey did you never
see the Nissan commercial on telly? <grin> (Hmm so where are you at Kim?)

>> Open up your minds guys!!  If someone says "this song means ... to
me", then why not say "Ok, that's interesting...how about you person B?
person C?" etc..  Stop trying to restrict music interpretation and the fact
that songs mean different things to different people, and stop going
against
Kate's view that songs should have a 'life of their own' - meaning the
original basis is not to be used as strict dogma. <<

Well to be honest i just replied to Lane's email..I never read you original
email.
Therefore I missed the 'to me' part.
Sorry.

take care now