Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Compression and the Net

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:14:42 -0500
Subject: Compression and the Net
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>As I said: I've never tested it, but a friend at work says
>that the loss of quality at 12-to-1 is virtually undetectable.

>If we're prepared to accept a minimum of quality-loss on
>the way, we could have a 5min song packed into just a few Mb.
>Isn't it worth investigating?

>Mikael Jakonen

If you wait a little longer, the dominant VRML browsers
will be supporting streaming audio by February (hopefully).
This is likely to be an MPEG-based system.  The meetings
with the MPEG group and the ISO and VRML Consortium group
are going on as we write.

Interestingly, a lot of money is being poured into
downloadable products for DVD. Step into the music
store, order the songs you want, they put it on your
disk.  It may make hash of traditional album concepts
and may be one of the factors that drive traditional
composers into multi-hyper-media skills and products
faster.

I wonder how artists will react and cope.  Will it
be similar to the dilemma silent movie stars faced
when it was discovered they had nice faces, good
moves, and bad voices?  Will it begin to eat at
M-TV that a media is emerging in which being a
model first isn't required?  Neat things ahead.

Will Kate make the cut?  She can, but will she?

Requisite Diana/Elton content:  They are pressing
the CDs for the Candle In the Wind release in the
US about five miles from where I live.  Kept
some of the neighbors up late doing the overtime
to get it out there.  And so it goes...

len