Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Biggest Chill?

From: "boots" <more@more.more>
Date: 18 Sep 1997 06:29:18 GMT
Subject: Re: The Biggest Chill?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Yeah, she's incredible at laying out a mood. Thinking of just auditory
chills and how everything fits together I think of the first time I heard
Houdini--the parts where she sings "With a kiss... to ...with your spit
(spirit?) still on my lips, you hit the water"
I remember having to stop the tape and rewind it a few times--I'd never
heard anything that had that particular effect on me.

Oh, are you talking about
I get out of my car, step into the night...?

Yeah, that's one of those moments too

I find it in a lot of music, those harmonies, the ones usually associated
with large spaces
Tori's good at capitalizing on those
Peter Gabriel's voice is nearly that way on its own (when he's doing slower
things--I find the popish stuff he's done  like Sledgehammer to be annoying
I think my favorite group for doing that was really This Mortal Coil
(alright not an official group, but, if you've heard them, you know what I
mean)
Peter Hammill, someone mentioned a song of his in the Kate Covers Others
thread, he's excellent at it as well.

That's one of the things that compels me to certain music. It's maybe the
second most important thing after relating to the lyrics.

well, this ramble went elsewhere in a hurry
I'll cut it short

brilliant premises to you all

boots

Morten Franck Johnsen <morten@remove.sdata.no> wrote in article