Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tape Tree: Administrator needed!

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:03:21 -0700
Subject: Tape Tree: Administrator needed!
To: "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Once again, I'm swamped and can't find the time to administer a tape tree.
If I havent' been able to get to it since early July (not for lack of
desire!) I can't see how it is going to happen now, with my fall travel
schedule and so on.  I apologize to everyone who has expected to hear an
announcement before now.

If someone out there in Amour D'Pooch Land would volunteer to set up and
administer a tree, I think we'd all be barking with joy.

What this involves is finding people who are willing to be "branches" and
make tapes for the other "leaves".  The branches will get a master
recording in some format that they can make the recordings from, and the
administrator should try to find a variety of formats they can copy too --
some might be able to make CDs or DAT tapes for others, as well as cassettes.

The administrator will find out how many copies each "branch" is willing to
make, and will then receive all the requests from the "leaves".  The
administrator then assigns leaves to each branch, to make sure each person
knows who they are making tapes for, who is making their tape, and so one
person isn't taking the brunt of the requests.

The leaves then send their blank media with a return envelope to the
assigned branch for their copy.  The branch makes the copy and returns it
within a reasonable period of time (say a week.)  Any confusion between the
branches and leaves is settled by the administrator.

As you can see, this is quite a bit of work; the administrator will need
some free time on a daily basis for the duration of the tape tree, which
should have a definite ending point so that people can get on with their
other projects.

If you would like to volunteer to take this task on, please e-mail me and
let's talk about it.

I've had a number of messages already from people willing to be "branches",
so there is a good pool of people to start with.

Please keep in mind that there appears to be an upcoming video tree on our
horizon (flourish of trumpets and uproarious cheering!) and some of you
might prefer to participate in that in addition to or instead of the
Magician tree.

Thanks to all for your patience and consideration.

Karen  kln@staralliance.com  "It is this that brings us together."