Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 9th Wave Interpretation

From: "DJH" <donna@math.uconn.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:52:44 +0000
Subject: Re: 9th Wave Interpretation
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>

> I've been lurkin for a while.  For me the most interesting part of this
> list is other people's interpretations of Kate's songs.   Everyone seems
> to have their own take, which is great.  As far as the drug references in
> 'under ice' go, I remember reading an interview in an irish music rag some
> years ago where the interviewer put that very interpretation to her.  I
> believe her response was that this was a neat take on the track, but
> not one that she had intended or thought about.
>
> Am I the only one out there to have a more poignant take on "the
> morning fog"?  I've never thought of it as describing a real rescue,
> to me it's the concluding dream of the drowning woman...  Dreaming
> about her family and how much she loves them is her last thought, and in
> that way she connects with them for a final time before she dies.  The
> rest of the ninth wave is a waking dream, so why not this too?  Just a
> thought.

I have always seen TMF as - not necessarily a resuce, but more of a
washing up on shore.

     The light
     Begin to bleed,
     Begin to breathe,
     Begin to speak.
     D'you know what?
     I love you better now.

I always saw this as her being out of the cold water and starting to
warm up as the sun rises.  As she 'thaws' she begins to bleed, and
breathe and finally is able to talk.  Since she has almost died and
lost everthing, she appreciates life better (l love you better now)

     I am falling
     Like a stone,
     Like a storm,
     Being born again
     Into the sweet morning fog.
     D'you know what?
     I love you better now.

Stumbling around on the shore as she tried to get her land legs back.
 Hard to walk (being born again- also a reference to a rebirth since
she almost died & the sea is where all life started...)

     I'm falling,
     And I'd love to hold you know.
     I'll kiss the ground.
     I'll tell my mother,
     I'll tell my father,
     I'll tell my loved one,
     I'll tell my brothers
     How much I love them.

Kissing the ground is a common scene in film - victims of some sort
of tragedy kiss the ground on their safe arrival.  This is my
favorite passage.  For me it is so full of a renewal.  It says "My
goddess!  I have just almost lost everything and everyone I care for.
 I am so full of gratitude that I LIVED!!  All those people I was
worried that I hadn't expressed my feelings for while I was in the
cold water... I'm going to tell them RIGHT NOW how very much I love
them"

Again, this is just my interp.  Certainly one of my absolute
favorite songs.

d~