Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Woman's Work

From: heisjohn@juno.com
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 19:26:39 -0400
Subject: Re: This Woman's Work
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Ron wrote:
>Actually, I've always tended to assume that most of the lackluster
>quality of the sound on Kate's albums was in the original tapes, even
>prior to mixing, *and* that it resulted from conscious decisions
>(style
>of production) rather than technical sloppiness <snip>

I've never felt this way about Kate's *recorded* work, but I do just
about every time I watch her early videos.

The lighting, direction and effects in some of them ("Army Dreamers" in
particular) are so amateur-looking, I've always believed they were shot
that way on purpose -- for artistic reasons I apparently just cannot
appreciate.

(If that's not the case, then I guess I'll just have to accept the fact
that they really  *are* pretty lame...)

John