Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di

From: "Alan Chamberlin" <xxxxabckid@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 10 Sep 1997 08:13:20 GMT
Subject: Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

John D. Walker <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.3.89.9709051845.A8014-0100000@post.cis.smu.edu>...
> What happened to Princess Di last Saturday was horrible. I never really
> paid that much attention to the royals, but Di was a pretty cool person
> despite her faults and her poor taste in men. I am saddened by her death.
>
> That being said, am I the only person who finds EJ's reworking of "Candle

> in the Wind" forced, contrived, and more than a little distasteful?
>
> Just wondering,
>

> JW      jdwalker@post.smu.edu
>
> Enter the Realm - the LOCHINVAR Home Page!
> http://members.aol.com/LordLknvar/realm.htm
> Email: LordLknvar@aol.com

No matter how they reworked it and how many times they play it I'll always
hear "Goodbye Norma Jean."  It's one of my favorite EJ songs and I suppose
given the circumstances of her death the association was inevitable.

"All the papers had to say
Was that Marilyn was found in the nude."

By this I mean the "papers"/paparazzi connection, not any other
possibilities.

Beyond that I'm far too cynical and feel, if not EJ's part, then the rest
of the attention was a bit much.

Now the death of Mother Theresa in the same week - that I feel deeply.  It
is an interesting contrast in these two very public lives that ended in the
same week.

The really interesting part of the ceremony that I watched:  Her sister
reading "Time Is," the "It's A Beautiful Day" song.  That was a surprise.

Alan Chamberlin