Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Indian movies

From: ltest@rte9-sun_5.5.1 (news_check.py)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:36:23 GMT
Subject: Re: Indian movies
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <340057E7.7B6B@hiwaay.net> cbullard@hiwaay.net (len bullard) wrote:
> Karen  kln@staralliance.com writes:
>
> >Len, thanks for the recommendation for Umrao Jann -- I'll check it out.

Karen  kln@staralliance.com writes:

>Len, thanks for the recommendation for Umrao Jann -- I'll check it out.

It is a about 15 years old, I'd guess.  But the lady in the title role
is
Rekha.  My source (a Hindu lady at work who recommended the film) says
that Rekha has been a very prominent and successful actress in the
Indian
file industry.  Apparently, Indian film actresses are extremely well
trained in dance, mime, and singing.  Rekha has a role in the new
film, Kama Sutra.  I did find a site on the Internet that sells
Indian films including Umrao Jann.  I see the work and realize what
Kate Bush could be capable of with that rich a tradition.

>Another recommendation I'd put forward is a new film called "Fire", which I saw a few months ago at the >theatre here in S.F.  I think it is in English, for those put off by subtitles.

Yes, I read the review of this on a page discussing Hindi and Indian
films.  It
and Kama Sutra are a bit of a scandal there given the subject matter.
I'm not sure
if the local Indian food store that rents vids will have Fire, but I'll
be on
the lookout for it!

We attended the celebration of Indian Independence last night here with
my friend from work and her husband.  The food and dress were exquisite,
and afterwards, they all danced to music which was Indian melody and
instrumentation (string-heavy) over a quasi extal/tintal disco beat.
Very interesting construction as the longer the pieces go, the more
overpowering and frenzied they become.   Long lines of mostly women
in incredible costumes whirled and moved while striking sticks in
common with the beat.  Incredible!  Eat the Music makes a lot more
sense in this context than the semi-voodoo context of the vid.

The cultural speakers and panel discussions
were most interesting.  They all seemed to agree that the most serious
problem
in India is corruption.  I found it disturbing that among these desi,
not a
one mentioned what the World Health Organization lists as the most
significant
problem:  the devaluation of Indian women.  The health statistics are
apalling.
It is a subject even my Indian friends are uncomfortable discussing.

len