Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate vs. Diana

From: moonboots@earthling.net (Boots)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 02:00:28 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate vs. Diana
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

On 8 Sep 1997 16:40:22 -0400, kbfreakc@aol.com (Kbfreakc) wrote:

If you throw Mother Theresa into the equation, there should have been
hundreds of state funerals, drowning out the insipid nature of the
mass shock and horror following Diana's death. I can find very little
in Diana that made her worthy of the outpouring--other than that she
was a symbol. What was she a symbol of? Someone who was above average
in beauty and grace who married a prince that was already a
laughing-stock. I daresay that, if the Queen (God forbid this should
happen) left this world tonight, England would be stuck with a
tragically goofy figurehead that chose his wife badly, and then, in
many ways, abandoned his decision.

How can anybody still be talking about Diana? Where she was a
store-bought figuring of soft pastic, Mother Theresa, no matter what
religion or irreligion you might follow, was the real thing. Where
Diana got tired of playing a barbie doll (oh the hardships she must
have endured) , Mother Theresa gave every day for what amounted to 10
times the duration of Diana's stint as a Princess.

I do feel the loss for Diana's children, and those that misguidedly
took her as some sort of roll model. I do think it was tragic that 3
people lost their lives in such a brutal way, but let's not waste so
much time on building emototional monuments to the loss of someone who
owed our knowledge of her to luck--plain, dumb, LUCK.

boots