Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

organic acid

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 12:33:21 -0700
Subject: organic acid
To: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Whoa!  Let's address this one thing at a time.  Are you paying for the COST
of someone copying a CD for you?  Or is this person charging an arm and a
leg?  What does a CDR cost, about $6.00?  If you paid more than that and
postage, yes, I'd be irritated.

>I was unaware that this "Organic Acid" was being circulated at Katemas
>Parties to "privileged" love-hounds.  I happen to have bought one....oh well.

This is not the case at all.

Actually we intended to make a few extra copies and send them in advance to
everyone holding a Katemas party so they could tape them for everyone
coming to the parties.  The guy who made the CD's had a bunch of problems
getting the thing to work, and was only able to make a couple the actual
day of the party, so it didn't happen.

We put together things we thought other people might be interested in, some
of it was new material that people spontaneously sent us from outside the
U.S.  We have not figured out how to share it with other Love Hounds yet. I
thought we made this clear in the postings after the party, that we'd like
to share this stuff, but need some time to figure out how to do it.

As you know copying CD's is expensive.  We do not have the facility to make
bunches of copies.  We do not have the money to have a couple hundred
copies made up front.  If someone has $1000. they can put up to have a
service bureau make a bunch of copies for us, let's talk, but in the
meantime, we need to figure out something else.

We are also VERY concerned that if we charge for the copies, even though it
would only be AT COST, that EMI would construe that we were making money
and we'd be in legal trouble.

>    1.  I wish a proper tapetree would've been setup to distribute the
>        material found on this CD.   Maybe I missed something during the
>        (rather brief) discussions about the newly discovered songs.  Maybe
>         ther IS intent to setup a tapetree....I dunno...

Yes, this is the intent.  I will copy the CD onto cassette for anyone who
mails me a cassette tape.  Send me a blank tape and a return envelope with
postage on it and I'll get you this material.

>    2.  Who made these CDs and why can't they be sold?    What if they are
>        to be given away?    It seems to me that this is putting many
>        love-hounds at a disadvantage.  I happen to be an avid collector
>        but now I feel rather "cheap" for having bought this CD.
>        However,  I feel that we cannot impose the same distribution
>        restrictions on a manufactured CD as we can on dubbed videos.
>        Both the Lovehound Collection and Kate-Topia are "manufactured"
>        with great ease by anybody who has 2 or more VCRs.  unfortunately,
>        we can't say as much about CDs unless you have special equipment.
>        Most people will have at least 1 VCR,  not many people have CD
>        burning equipment.  And why can't I seek the best quality possible
>        offered by the CD as opposed to a cassette dub.

The quality isn't going to be that great because the originals were
cassettes that people sent us.  So you've got cassettes transferred into
the computer and then onto CD.  I emphasize that the quality is NOT the
same as a professionally manufactured CD.

This CD cannot be manufactured and sold because it contains unofficial
material. The source material came from different people all over the world.

Besides, we can't ask someone with one CD burner to spend all their time
making what will probably be hundreds of copies to share with all the other
Love Hounds.  There are also obvious copyright problems, and I personally
think it is unfair to ask someone to take on the burden of doing so much
shipping and tracking and so on.

>...god I feel very strange about this...especially at the lack of ANYBODY
>offering to dub this "precious" CD to the rest of us Lovehounds...
>peace
>
>ron

If this is indeed the CD we gave away at the party, just imagine how
strange I'M going to feel: someone who came to my home as a guest, who was
given a gift and directed to SHARE it with people, broke that trust.  I do
not invite people into my home lightly and I will be extremely displeased
if this turns out to be the CD from our party and someone is selling it for
a profit.

Again, I am not clear from your last post if you paid for the cost of
someone copying this for you, which is OK, or if someone is charging you a
lot of money.

The thing we NEED are practical, inexpensive, workable suggestions for how
to share this.  What should we do?  How can we do it?  If we get in
copyright trouble who among you is willing to share the responsibility?

We haven't been able to figure this one out.  We need your help. Ideas,
please.

Karen  kln@staralliance.com

If you want a copy mail a tape to me at:
625 Ashbury St., #4
San Francisco, CA  94117.