Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Could HOL/9thW be the greatest album ever???

From: mrshlstax@aol.com (MRSHLSTAX)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:59:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Could HOL/9thW be the greatest album ever???
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
SnewsLanguage: English

     Hmm...Ranking albums are we? Well, my fave KT is The Dreaming. When I
first bought it in early '86, I listened to it once, discovered it was
utter crap, and put it back on the shelf. Three months later, I took it
down and gave it another chance. Still crap. six weeks later, it had a song
or two that I could tolerate. Three weeks later, I found that I quite liked
several of the songs. A week later, I was very much enjoying the album. For
the next year, I couldn't get it of my turntable. I guess it just had to
age on my record shelf for a few months before it was ready to serve.
     As for my favorite album of the 80's, it has to be David and David's
"Welcome to the Boomtown".  It perfectly described the alienation of the
Reagan years for me, and is still a powerful album of marginalized people
struggling to live and love and matter.
    My favorite of all time? I honestly can't answer. "Levant Plays
Gershwin"?  Barenaked Ladies "Gordon"?  Mahmoud Ahmed "Ere Mele Mele"? Ray
Charles "Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music"?  Richard and Linda
Thompson "Shoot Out The Lights"?  There is too much good music for me to
nominate one as my all time favorite.

Marshall Stax
Captain of the Freighter "Mightiest Ron"