Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming

From: progbear@aol.com (Progbear)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 03:07:04 -0400
Subject: Re: The Dreaming
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>"Sat in Your Lap" -- This one took a while to grow on me.  I think parts
of
>it
>                     are a bit awkward, and it doesn't quite seem to fit
in
>                     with the rest of the album in certain ways.  But I
like
>it.
>                     I love the booming percussion, and my favorite part
is
>                     the refrain "I must admit/Just when I think I'm
king..."

     Prior to owning it, this was the only tune I had heard. As the
album's lead-off single, you know the rest of the album's gonna be totally
weird! One of my favourites.

>"Suspended in Gaffa" -- The most infectious song on the album.  Its
stately
>                        pulse and playful vocals work their magic to put
the
>                        listener into a trance.

     A nice, bouncy little waltz tune. Makes you want to get up and dance,
even if you don't have a partner!

>  I'm still trying to figure
>out
>                        some of the muffled lines that lead into the
chorus.

     That's the thing that bugs me about Kate's CDs. Some copies come with
lyrics, some don't. My copy of _The Dreaming_ did, but _Hounds Of Love_
didn't. Is there any way of telling how a CD has lyrics? Catalogue
numbers?

>"The Dreaming" -- This is an interesting one.  I know it's about
Australia,
>                  but don't quite understand the significance of that.

     That's Rolf Harris on the didjeridu. Of "Tie Me kangaroo Down Sport"
fame (if you're British, you'll also remember lots of cruel humour at his
expense on "The Goodies")

> The Irish
>                  music at the end--does that belong to this song or the
>next?

     That's part of "Night of the Swallow". Irish bouzouki player Donnal
Lunny (of the Bothy Band and Moving Hearts) plays on this one.

>"All the Love" -- This seems to be the Gothic track of the album.

     Yeah. Surprisingly, the appearance of the boy soprano actually works.

>"Get Out of My House" -- Never hurts to end on a bizarre note!  :)  This
song

>                         has a fascinatingly frenzied, hypnotic groove.
>                         particularly like the parts where she starts to
>become
>                         manic.  The "Woman, let me in..." lines toward
the
>                         end are just ghostly.  Who's the guy singing
that?

     That's Paddy Bush. He sings background on most of the tracks.

>                         Then comes the endearing braying.  What's the
>                         significance of it?  I also like his performance
>here.
>                         They definitely seem to be braying in time!
Clever
>way
>                         to finish off the album.

     "Eeyore" is played by Paul Hardiman. The significance? Listen to the
lyrics: her last line is "I change into the Mule".

                         MIKE