Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello Earth

From: "Erwin Wagner" <e.wagner@ootec.de>
Date: 14 Aug 97 15:09:59 GMT
Subject: Re: Hello Earth
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Ian Shillingford <EonS@CompuServe.COM> wrote in article
<199708010955_MC2-1C24-863@compuserve.com>...
> >debraski@aol.com (Debraski)
> asked...
> >I just got the remastered HOl and heard something I never noticed before
> >At the end of  "Hello Earth"   she speaks something that I thought was
> >Gaelic.  But my Irish girlfriend tells me its not Irish Gaelic.  Anyne
> >have any idea?  It comes about 30 seconds before the start of track 12
and
> >is just whispered.
>
> I suspect a German-fluent fan might be able to help, as
> Tiefe = depth
> Licht = light
> The other words are too fast for me to work out (I'm very much a
beginner).

> ...actually, one of the later e-mails in the list (from Stormin') has
> "Somewhere in the depth, there is the light." as the sigline.
> Checking the dictionary, somewhere = irgendwo, so I suggest this is the
> translation.
> Am I correct, Stormin'? <pleading look on face>

I'm not Stormin', but you are correct.

<Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht...>
<deeper, deeper, somewhere in the depth there is a light...>

The only difference to the mentioned sigline is that I wouldn't translate
it as
article
in the German language. Otherwise you would have to say <gibt es das
Licht>.