Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Two sides to this KB fan

From: "Collinson, Wendy" <Wendy.Collinson@olsy.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 15:00:30 +0100
Subject: Two sides to this KB fan
To: "'love-hounds@gryphon.com'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Return-Receipt-To: "Collinson, Wendy" <Wendy.Collinson@olsy.co.uk>

Hallo.  I've just had half a bottle of wine so what follows may seem a
bit squiffy-like:-

As a KB fan, I walk two paths:  one, where I wish; the other, where I
know leads more towards reality.

I wish that:  Kate produced albums more regularly, not because I want
her work to suffer but because I, in my own small, incredibly
infinitesimal way, understand that a certain discipline enervates work
in progress.

I know that:  anyone who told me how to create my own art would be told
to bugger off sharpish.  It's not my right to demand it of another.

I wish that:  Kate got out a bit more, in the sense that she's
experiencing a whole load of new things that stimulate her creativity,
and that the experiences are positive and she feels more like
communicating with the rest of the world more often.

I know that:  publicity is not conducive to Kate and her work and who
really knows (eh, Dongerous?!) what she gets up to in the meantime.
Life for us unknowns is comparatively free and unguarded, to do with
what we choose.  Life for a celebrity is a mite trickier.

I wish that:  Kate would tour.  Live performance is its own discipline
and I would like to think that it would be a positive experience for
Kate, even to perform solo with her piano, as it would for her fans.  An
intimate, sharing experience of her incredibly beautiful art.

I know that:  Kate will never tour again.  (I say this hoping to be, one
day, pleasantly surprised).  It's been too long for her to contemplate
touring, I'm sure, without feeling the tremendous burden of expectation.
Her work has developed too much towards sophisticated technology, to
adequately reproduce within the confines of live performance to her
satisfaction.

I wish that:  I were more like some of her fans who expect only what she
gives us.

I know that:  it's not quite so simple.

Wendy