Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The biz and stuff

From: "John D. Walker" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:27:00 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: The biz and stuff
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Just a few quick points:
First, to anyone who actually missed my drivelous ranting - sorry I ran
out on the discussion, life got in the way.

Len - Thanks for posting the summary of the Musician article.  That's a
real eye opener, huh?  It makes my point for me, enough said.  There's a
piece in the current issue of Guitar Player that's good reading for those
who might be interested in how the business works, called "Is Rock Guitar
Dead, or Does It Just Smell Funny?" or something along those lines.  It's
mostly slanted toward guitarists (obviously) but there are some
interesting comments from some A&R and manager types.

On the indie vs. major thing: it depends on what you're trying to do, and
how much control you're willing to relinquish, and how interested the
labels are, as far as what's best for a given band or artist.  My band
has elected to stay independent because we want to develop a strong
identity, we want to maintain as much control as we can, and we want to
profit from our work (if that's to happen) rather than sign it all over
and spend the next 10 years paying it off.  It's a harder road in a lot
of ways, but for me personally it's more enjoyable.  And that's what it's
all about.  The majors have a huge advantage over small labels and
independent bands in that they control the distribution channel.  Ani
DiFranco is an exception and I really respect the hell out of her for
what she's been able to accomplish.  But in general, indie and small
label artists struggle with getting product on the shelves where people
can buy it.  The Internet gives many of us a channel to reach people, and
some people are taking excellent advantage of it (i.e., Velvet Hammer,
http://www.eden.com/~velvet, great band), but it's still tough to get
heard.  I don't mind, hell, I like a challenge.  And Don, I promise to 1)
go try to find one of Green Day's indie albums and give it a listen, and
2) send you my band's CD when we finish it.  You'll hate it, but at least
you'll know I'm serious.

IED - when you get relocated to Oklahoma some of us nearby Love Hounds
need to look you up.  You'll find that Oklahoma is ..... different, to
say the least.  Stay out of the bingo halls, and prepare yourself for
major culture shock.

JW      jdwalker@post.smu.edu

Enter the Realm - the LOCHINVAR Home Page!
http://members.aol.com/LordLknvar/realm.htm
Email: LordLknvar@aol.com