Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dog Eat Dog/HoL (was: A Weird View of The Ninth Wave)

From: mukamuk@pacbell.net (Mukamuk)
Date: 4 Aug 1997 04:07:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Dog Eat Dog/HoL (was: A Weird View of The Ninth Wave)
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <33D0B6A4.D40A4B9F@intrex.net>, rwgarr@intrex.net says...

>While we're into that area of history, how about another thought: Some
>of you may remember that Joni Mitchell released an album called *Dog Eat
>Dog* right around that time. I think it came out in the autumn of 1985.
>I also remember that it had another "canine" cover motif, but a less
>tranquil one. Any connection there?

Hmm, I don't think they're connected thematically, or personally as artists,
but it's not entirely unrelated.  The dogs on DOG EAT DOG are howling, but so
is Joni... there's a car in the background, so she might have just broken down,
or else just pulled over because she heard something on the radio that enraged
her (as in the songs Three Great Stimulants and Tax Free).  I don't think the
dogs are hostile... they're howling along with Joni.  It's quite an image
you've got me visualizing now, with her leaving her car and screaming to the
sky, and all these wild dogs emerging from the forests and raising their voices
with her in sympathy.  So this somewhat reflects Kate embracing the Hounds of
Love in both the song and on the cover... giving in to the wild side.