Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!

From: "He Is John" <heisjohn@gate.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 17:56:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!
To: "Love Hounds" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Dongerous! wrote:
>He Is John wrote:
> >Calling Bowie and Purple '60s artists is like calling Kate a '70s
artist.
> >To paraphrase Karen, that would be akin to lumping her in with the
> >polyester-wearin' Charlie Daniels set.
>
> Kate Bush IS a '70s artist.

Nope, she's an '80s artist.

Fair or unfair, artists are typically classified by the decade in which
they release their quintessential work, or in which they reach the peak of
their popularity -- NOT when they first warble about them wiley, windy
moors (for example...).

Of course, many of the more prolific ones transcend this (lazy)
classification by virtue of their longevity (Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan,
etc.), but most do not.  Just by chance, the two other artists mentioned
above, Bowie and Deep Purple, are perfect examples of this phenomenon.

Bowie will surely be remembered as Ziggy Stardust, the Thin White
Duke or any of his other '70s personas, not as the writer of those
mind-numbingly lame show tunes he wrote and released in the '60s.
Similarly, Deep Purple will go down in the books as a '60s group only in
the minds of the members who didn't make the cut (Rod Evans and Nick
Simper), and perhaps their respective mums...

Still don't agree?  Welllll, I suppose you could take a <yawn> poll...

> >> I'm not familiar with PK.
> >
> >What Paul McCartney would sound like if he could play guitar.
>
> Paul McCartney CAN play guitar. Ever heard "Taxman"?

You mean that cheesy little solo is Paul?!  And I thought it was George all
these years!!  :-)

> >>I'll bet you don't have the storage problem with CDs/LPs/45s that I
> >>do.
> >
> >Thanks for letting me know I'm all up to date!  And no, storage isn't
> >really a problem.  I traded almost everything else I owned for Kate and
> >10cc stuff...
>
> What about the guy who plays guitar like Paul McCartney?

Oops!  Looks like you caught me in one of them big (stripey) lies...  OK,
now that the truth is out -- I kept a copy of Revolver too.

John

Regarding the Big Sky article:  congratulations on being published (again?)
But where does one find a copy of 4-Wheel ATV Action in Backwater, Florida?
 Our local bookstore (Walmart) doesn't carry it.  Neither does the local
drugstore (Walmart), record store (Walmart), sporting goods store (Walmart)
or general merchandiser (Walmart)...