Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lilith Fair (was Re: I love this place)

From: "Renee Rosen" <lilitu@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 18:59:14 +0000
Subject: Lilith Fair (was Re: I love this place)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <lilitu@topeka.cjnetworks.com>

[I deleted most of your post, even though I thought it was good and
agreed with most of it with one minor quibble: yes, the tools needed
to make a good recording are much, much cheaper and better than they
used to be, but they're still quite expensive and take a while to
acquire on your average young person's salary--something I know,
since I'm in that position. At least now, however, they are a
possibility, though it may take a few years to afford them.]

On 26 Jul 97 at 14:55, len bullard wrote:

> As for who needed who to make it:  Alannis didn't
> need Sarah or the Lilith tour.  Heck, outside the
> eclectic egghead set, not a lot of people know what
> the Lilith tour was or care.

I think the Lilith Fair is much more popular than you realize. I
mean, it even got on the cover of Time magazine (an issue I missed
unfortunately--I need to find a copy of it). It's also been one of
the more successful tours finacially.

I'm probably more aware of the popularity of it, at least on the
Internet, since one of my web pages is the Lilith Shrine (about the
goddess/demoness Lilith who inspired the name of the Fair, not the
Fair itself)--I've had repeated guest book entries and emails about
people wanting info on the show, and I've had to put up a disclaimer
to explain I have no connections to the show and give them a link to
go to their web page. I've also had over 21 thousand hits to my page
since August (when I moved it to its new server), and the majority
of those have been in the past few months, since the Lilith Fair hit
the news. Not all those hits were because of the Fair, but I still
get comments in my guestbook that mention it.  Even my friends who
have minimal interest in the music I listen to and in Lilith have
commented to me about it.

Also, a nationally-distributed fundamentalist Christian radio show
called Street Talk had me on as a guest last night to speak about
Lilith and the Lilith Fair, since they were convinced that this was
part of a resurgence in spirituality (esp. non-Christian
spirituality, which of course they thought was "bad"). It's a show
geared towards the "Gen X" market (blech--I hate that phrase!), and
they try to feature alternative spiritualities and music and stuff of
appeal to "Gen X." At any rate, they were somewhat scared of the
Lilith Fair and called it "goddess rock" and made snide comments
about only women going to the shows (not true!) and only women being
allowed to play in it (not true, since many of the musicians on stage
were males, though the singers or main people in the bands were all
female). They also didn't seem to get it that the bands who were
playing weren't necessarily "worshippers" of Lilith but were just
using her as a symbol of an independent woman (something which seemed
to really frighten them). At any rate, it's big enough that they are
both aware of it *and* frightened by it.

The Lilith Fair is pretty big time this year, at least from my
perspective.

Renee
lilitu@cjnetworks.com
http:/www.cjnetworks.com/~lilitu