Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HoL EMI Booklet

From: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:45:15 -0700
Subject: Re: HoL EMI Booklet
To: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Cc: rabensam@earthlink.net, love-hounds@gryphon.com (Love-Hounds)

At 5:11 AM -0700 7-22-97, Ronald Girardin wrote:
>--- Richard Bensam wrote:
>Me, I'm still wrestling with PDFM citing "Sting, Collins, and Clapton" in
>his otherwise superb liner notes...not at all sexist, but since I don't
>like any of those three it still made me wince.  Kate doesn't need to be
>lumped in with that crowd either; her peers are the likes of Brian Eno and
>Peter Gabriel.
>--- end of quote ---
>You have a point with Sting and Collins....but Clapton???!!!!   he IS a
>master.
>There is NO better guitar player in the world.

Granted, Clapton did some fine work at one time, but he's been pretty
tapped out since the Derek & the Dominos days were over. What's with that
song about his kid falling out of a window? That nearly bored ME to
death...though it made the Grammy people and those that operate elevators
for a living quite happy. Wake me when he puts out something as good as the
"Five Live Yardbirds" album.

> Kate wishes.........

What does Kate wish? Her records are technical vituosity for the sake of
technical virtuosity.  Unfortunately, on "This Woman's Live Work," she is
seen in the company of Steve Harley (has-been, near never-was), Pete
Townshend (has-been), Phil Collins (he was fine when he was a drummer and
back-up singer in Genesis) and David Gilmour (has-been). These guys, PC in
particular, have been responsible for some pretty miserable claptrap in the
last decade or so. The only decent collaborator on "TWLW" is Peter Gabriel,
who was brilliant on The (Wo)man with the Child In His (Her) Eyes. And
people complain about Prince being on TRS...sheesh! Hey, I'd like to see
the Reid brother produce KB's next album and write some songs with her.
Now, THAT would be interesting.

- Don