Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!

From: "DJH" <donna@math.uconn.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:39:31 +0000
Subject: Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!
To: Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>, love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>

> Hey, hey, hey! I included Courtney Love/Hole on the first go 'round. If you
> like gearnoise, you gotta love Hole. Plus, they make great videos.

I just thank the goddess that no one mentioned Babes in Toyland.
{Shiver} YUCK!

> >One trend of note: Hardly any Country Music fans (Hooray!).
>
> I'm not into country music, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Didn't I mention Lyle Lovett?  Hank Williams (Sr)?  Johnny Cash?  Is
KD Lang considered country?  Not all country is CRAP.

> > or "Easy Listening".
>
> Hello? I saw lots of Easy Listening...Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Gordon
> Lightfoot and  Enya just to name a few.

Hold the phone!!   I don't consider Enya easy listening!  Sure, she's
easy on the ears, but Key-RIST!! don't label Enya along with elevator
music...  Crime-ma-nelly!

> >Not much folk or Irish, not enough Blues.
>
> How much would be enough?

Ditto.  Inquiring minds want to know...

> What I found disturbing about some of the lists was the fact that many list
> members appear to have not discovered a new artist since the '70s!!!

This is just uncalled for.  I only noticed one or two lists that were
exclusively 70's stuff.  Ok, maybe more, but the majority of the
lists were pretty timely and eclectic.  Even though some of the
choices made me wince, I was impressed with the range of 'artists'
listened to by this group... (is that right?  I wish this had a
grammar check...)

> Speaking of the '70s, I just got a single compilation by The Adverts, one
> of the first round of great punk bands, featuring T.V. Smith (an incredibly
> underrated songwriter) and the always-lovely Gaye Advert. These guys put
> out more songs in a year or so than KB does in a decade!

Meow!

Like that would be hard to do.... (I CAN'T believe I just said that!!!
 It just slipped out!  I couldn't stop my self!!!  PLEASE FORGIVE ME
KATE!!!)

d~

"We used to fight the man,  Now we fight the Mouse"
Americans for Radio Diversity in reference to Disney's
buy out and format change of Revolution Radio 105
Minneapolis / St Paul