Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!

From: "Renee Rosen" <lilitu@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:53:10 +0000
Subject: Re: Other Artists; OK! I Give Up!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <lilitu@topeka.cjnetworks.com>

On 21 Jul 97 at 19:35, gearnoise@VNET.IBM.COM wrote:

> I was trying to keep up with compiling a list of other performers
> people in this group listen to, but it had gotten so big and was
> growing so fast that I finally realized I would be covering the
> entire stock of the rock section of an average record store.  I knew
> it was really getting out of hand when someone added Hole to the
> list.

How is that out of hand? I wouldn't add them to my list, but they
have some good songs (and some not so good songs). I mean, Courtney
Love is pretty messed up, but that doesn't prevent her from writing
some good songs. I think even Lisa Germano said she respected Hole's
songs because they were honest.

> One trend of note: Hardly any Country Music fans (Hooray!).

I didn't list any country in my list, but I do like a very little
country, mainly Patsy Cline. I really don't like country much, but I
do like her singing.

> Also, little/no R&B, Rap, or "Easy Listening".

Hey, don't knock "Easy Listening"--that category can include people
like Martin Denny and Yma Sumac, both of whom I really like, though I
forgot to list. OTOH, if you mean the schlock they play on "adult
contemporary" radio, then I can see your point.

> Of the few classical composers thrown in, I was very much surprised
> that none of the "tone poem" composers made it.  If ya like KaTe, ya
> oughta like Debussy, Respighi, R Strauss, Ravel, Stravinsky, etc.
> They weren't into that structured symphony thing.

I do like some of those composers (especially Debussy and some
earlier Stravinsky--his Neo-Classical period leaves me kind of cold),
but I named the ones that were either my absolute favorites or were
semi-obscure despite deserving more attention. Of course, I geared my
list partially towards the obscurer side of what I like, partially to
see if I was alone in my musical interests. I've seen some overlap
between my list and others, but one of the more notable thing about
these lists was the great variety of music listed.

I didn't pay that close of attention to the countries of origins of
many of these lists, but it would be interesting to see whether
Americans on average listed more obscure/"alternative"/experimental
music than did listeners from other parts of the world, especially
considering how Kate is considered mainstream in many countries,
whereas she's somewhat obscure here in the US.

Renee
lilitu@cjnetworks.com