Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kashka from Baghdad--does anyone know?

From: Matt Humphrey <stock@capital.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 19:11:25 +0000
Subject: Kashka from Baghdad--does anyone know?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>  For example "Kashka from
> Bagdhad".  We learn in this version that the person singing is debating
> acting on their own gay feelings "what would I do if I was seen/what
> would I do if they knew my true feelings?".  There's also a funny line
> that must have later been revised: "except for the man who takes the
> garbage out..."

Thanks for this angle.  I have very few of the demos, and had not
heard this particular version.  Having read this, I looked up the demo
lyrics on the web, as well as the recorded ones.

Now for a question.  In the liner notes to "Lionheart", and in the
"Kate Bush Complete" songbook, the background singing is not written
out.

Several folks on the web have written them as "Watching every night,
Don't they know they're seen?  Won't you let me laugh?  Let me in your
love."

And an alternative is suggested, the nonsensical "Utcha every night".

Now, in my twelve years as a KT listener, I have always thought that
she was singing either: (implied I as the subject)"Watch ya' every
night, don'tcha notice me?"  Or possibly "don'tcha notice it?"  In
this context, she appears to be singing longingly to Kashka and
companion outside of their hearing, and goes very well with the "what
if they knew my true feelings" from the earlier embryonic version.

Frankly, while "don't they know they're seen?" fits the song, I don't
get why she would be presumably speaking ABOUT them, and then suddenly
switch to the "won'tcha let me laugh?  Let me in your love," which
seems obvious to me is a silent plea to Kashka.

I've been listening to the song closely, but I just can't make it out.
(It does sound like she's singing "Utcha", too!)  Has anyone else
heard what I've been hearing for over a decade, and am I in the
ballpark with this one?

Also, is there more to the reference to alley cats "coming out" (!!!)
than is apparent at first glance?

And a non-Kashka observation: On side 1 of HOL, we hear "It's you and
me" as a theme.  "It's you and me, Daddy" (and also on the b-side
"Burning Bridge" "It's you and me baby, against the world!").

I just realized today the contrast with the OTHER side, "Under Ice":
"It's ME!"

Hmmm.

Matt

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/2088/noodle.html

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." --Frank Lloyd Wright

"Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it."
--Andre Gide