Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Current listening

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 15:15:23 -0700
Subject: Current listening
To: "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Recently some friends dragged me and the Loved One to a Jonathan Richman
concert at the Great American Music Hall here in SF.  First time in a long
time I left a concert with nearly every song still running through my head,
words already memorized.

So lately it's been "Surrender to Jonathan" and the compilation album that
came out a few years ago "The Berzerkley Years".

Funny guy, good music.  I like how he pares rock down to a few essential
elements and lets them speak for themselves without a lot of noise and
effects, and writes hilariously funny, charming lyrics.  He's quiet, he's
damned good, and he's the only guy I ever saw who resembled a golden
retriever playing a Fender Stratocaster!

Karen  kln@staralliance.com