Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Paula Cole comparison to Kate

From: pdb6@aol.com (PDB6)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 19:19:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Paula Cole comparison to Kate
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

dc wrote:
"I do recommend the Paula Cole album, although everyone here probably
already knows of it since Peter Gabriel sings on one of the songs and
Paula Cole toured with him.  Does anyone know if she has any connection
with Kate BusH?"

I've been listening to Paula's "This Fire" album alot lately (I think it
is totally fab), and I find her to sound like Kate somewhat frighteningly
in many places on the album.  In specific, the end of "This Fire", the
latter half of "Neitzche's Eyes", and the entierty of "Mississippi".
"Mississippi" could be slipped right in the middle of a copy of "The
Dreaming", and a novice listener would never know the difference.  It's
kind of funny, actually.  The music (but not the vocals) on "Road to Dead"
sounds just like something off of HoL as well.

We all know that Paula spent a great deal of time hanging out with Peter
Gabriel and sang her parts on his US tour (although her doing Kate's part
in "Don't Give Up" doesn't sound too much like Kate), so she obviously
knows who Kate is, but has anyone ever heard/read Paula say anything about
Kate?

As a non Kate aside, any of you Peter Gabriel fans should try singing the
chanty bits of Paula's "Where Have all the Cowboys Gone" ("You get me
ready in your 56' Chevy.  Why don't we go sit down in the shade...")
slowed down a bit along with Peter's "Intruder".  It fits perfectly.

Peter D Bakija
PDB6@aol.com

"You cannot catch me, for I am Super-Freaky!"
-Artie, the Strongest Man in the World