Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Such humility is unbecoming.

From: "Alan Chamberlin" <xxxxabckid@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 23 Jun 1997 03:40:08 GMT
Subject: Such humility is unbecoming.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

IEDSRI@aol.com wrote in article
<970620015211_-1294858665@emout19.mail.aol.com>...
> IED has been reading with huge pleasure the relative newcomers' accounts
of
> their discovery of Kate Bush's music.  Please keep them coming, they
> rekindle us oldtimers' memories of the good old days when a new Kate
> Bush album used to come out every couple of years or so . . .
>
> Swat wrote:
>
>  > well, one of my friends, who is a love-hound too, asked me how old I
was
>  > when I first got hooked; that was in 1977, when I was 7. believe it or

>  > not, I was at home in Oostende (Belgium), listening to a North Sea
pirate
>  > radio station called Radio Veronica with my elder brother (who was and
>  > till is a Led Zeppelin fan!), when they played a demo(?) version of
"The
>  > Saxophone Song"; or maybe it was a bootleg.
>
> This old fogey was twenty at the time, but had much the same experience
as
> you.
> He was living in Florence then, and caught a pre-release airing of
"Wuthering
> Heights" in November '77 on Radio Luxembourg.  It changed IED's life
(some
> might say not for the better!) forever.
>
> Very best wishes to all the Love-Hounds, particularly to Karen whose
efforts
> to organize Bay-Area fans for this year's Katemas rites are typically
valiant
> and gracious; and to all you whippersnappers.
>
> -- Andrew Marvick (IED)
>      S         REALLY         I

Me thinks that our Andrew is being far too modest.  I have vague memories
of a pilgrimage to his house in LA some years back for a Katemas.  My
friend and I knew we were there when we saw the 4' x 4' reproduction of the
cover of The Kick Inside (the American version).

My friend and I both came away with door prizes (copies of Cathy Demos on
vinyl) and were amazed at the array of laser disk players, vcrs,  and video
displays that Andrew had assembled.

We spent the day watching videos, official and unofficial, viewing Kate
performances from Japanese television ("Rorring the Barr"), Kate's
appearance on a television show as a bride, Kate interviews and the
marveling at the incredible array of posters, sheet music, wall coverings,
etc.  all Kate related.

Andrew, you have my favorite Kate poster - the one of her in the brown
slacks and the silver vest.

We left filled to the brim with hospitality, good food, great company and,
of course, Kate.

We were even linked internationally to the white rose sent to Kate by the
fans on that day.  I seem to remember quite a hubub about a phone call that
Kate had received the flowers.

Stop being so modest Andrew.  Take a bow and let me know if you have any
knowledge of an event in LA this year.  I'll actually be able to attend I
think.

--
Alan Chamberlin
----

"But just saying it might even make it happen."
KTB