Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

that memory thing...

From: seaweb@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:35:25 +0000
Subject: that memory thing...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I just wandered into your group this week, and I'm glad to see we're
all still here, this world of people who can't forget Kate when she
goes missing.

I am 45.  Yes, way old.  And I first heard Kate after work one day in
early 1978, the day the Capitol Records rep laid her album (on Harvest,
it was) on my desk with all the others that week.  It wasn't anything
Capitol was trying to push (dummies then, dummies now). I noted Dave
Gilmour's name and the presence of much of the Alan Parsons Project,
and I liked the cover.

At home, I put it on and listened to it a couple of times, stunned as
that whole wonderful, colorful, emotional program played through.  I
thought I might have been hallucinating or something.  It was so
unexpectedly beautiful.  I fell in love, with this kid piano player.
She wrote the best love letters you could ever hope to read.  She sang
like no one else.

Kate's a phenomena, a comet, rare and bright.  And still, just a
person, simple like all of us.  Sure, I'd part with a month's salary to
sit in a club, anywhere in the world, to hear her play in a trio, solo,
whatever.  Sitting in an airport coffee shop to listen to her tap her
fingernails on the tabletop across from me would be a wild thrill.
But, she makes great records, and she doesn't want to tour.  C'est la
vie.

That rush from "Kick" up through "The Dreaming" was breathtaking, and
like all truly fine things, she improves with age.  She's my favorite.
I'll always be cheering for her, as she goes her own way.  Go, Kate!

Steven