Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

younger fans

From: "Brian J. Dillard" <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:26:19 +0000
Subject: younger fans
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Steve Borden (sborden@netway1.mdc.net) wrote:
>And I thought I was a young one around here!  (I'm 27.)  Any other Kate
>fans out there in this age bracket?

I'm 24. Been a fan since '90, when a good friend and fellow high school
student (we were seniors at the time) brought WH off TWS in to play for
our AP English class when we were reading the novel. Reactions varied,
from our much-beloved teacher finding it 'typical rock' (?!) to this one
kid who was really into U2 (but later disavowed them in college when
they entered their ironic phase) asking me a few weeks later at a party,
when I was enthusing about WH and my own new copies of TWS and TSW, 'You
really liked it? I thought Jenny brought it in as a joke.'

Bought everything on cassette at used record shops in East Lansing
when I hit Michigan State in fall 1991.

Got my first taste of 'new' Kate in fall 93 with TRS.

Got the boxed set from my parents for Christmas '93--and nearly
lost a friend and a roommate because I played it so much.

Have spent the years since tracking down demos, bootlegs, videos,
guest appearances (Prince, Common Ground, Peter Gabriel), samples
(Aphex Twin) ... and waiting for the next album.

Brian Dillard
dillardb@pilot.msu.edu

Raven Thompson, send me your address so I can refund your $7 for that
unintentionally horrible copy of the Kateopia Kollectioni I dubbed!