Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 9th Wave

From: pdc@acorn.net (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 14:03:29 -0400
Subject: Re: 9th Wave
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Cc: Dongerous! <fastslow@IDT.NET>

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:07:40 -0800, Dongerous! <fastslow@IDT.NET> wrote:

> You probably don't think Iggy Pop's "Raw Power" was one of the
> pinnacles of art in Western Civilization.

You've got me pegged!

   I wrote:
> >This group uniformly (until now :) recognizes the genius of TNW.
> >(Actually, since I don't know how you feel about using smileys,
> >I would guess you are joking here.)
>
> I would guess that some people on the list are afraid to express an
> unpopular opinion.

During the history of Love-Hounds, there have been plenty of people
aboard who would've called it sh*t if that's how they felt.  Goodness
knows just about everything else she's produced has had a critic
around here.

> >On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:49:52 -0400 (EDT), Dongerous! <fastslow@idt.net>
> >wrote:
> >>
> >> It would most likely be an unsuccessful argument, however.
> >
> >Yet it is long-standing doctrine in this group.
>
> Okay. You string the videos for "HoL," "Cloudbusting," "The Big Sky" and
> "RUTH" together and tell me that there's a thematic quality. If you can
> make that stretch, you must be the Rubberband Guy. They're just five songs
> that didn't fit into "TNW" fiasco.

Oh, the videos.  I've never seen "HoL" or "Cloudbusting" (or "Exp IV"--I'd
love to buy a copy of "The Whole Story" video in NTSC).  I was talking from
a purely musical perspective.

> Quick, completely true story: My wife comes home one day. She says, "I
> heard this song on the radio. I think it was Kate Bush, but it wasn't very
> good. Does she do a song called 'Cornflake Girl'?"

When that song first came out, I *repeatedly* reacted with "They're playing
'The Red Shoes' on the radio?!'".  I think TA intentionally put that on the
front to piss off Kate's fans. :)

Fare thee well.

___ "I think you're all completely mad"-Kate (to her fans)
 |  "Love between the ugly
 |/     is the most beautiful love of all"-Todd       pDaleCampbell
 |\                                                   pdc@acorn.net
KT - - - - - - - - -   u m o p   a p ! s d n   - - - - - - - - - KT