Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: there goes a tenner lyrical question

From: Spbarker@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 13:47:40 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: there goes a tenner lyrical question
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Bryan Dongray <btd@cray.com> wrote:

>I'd not thought about the idea of the song referring to them robbing a bank,
>stashing it away, and once out of prison, not being able to spend it because
>money has changed. It's a good twist though.

I have always assumed the song was about a bungled robbery.  Not only do
they use too much gelignite ("You blow the safe up / Then all I know is I
wake
up / Covered in rubble"), but they then find the notes that are flying around
are out of date and couldn't be used anyway.

Simon

PS. American love-hounds may not have noticed the pun "A star in strange
ways" in the song.  Strangeways is actually a prison.