Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: there goes a tenner lyrical question

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:32:00 +0100
Subject: RE: there goes a tenner lyrical question
To: "Brian J. Dillard" <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu>, "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

>From: Brian J. Dillard
>i love this track for its wry humor, amusing details and bouncy
>melody. but i've never understood the closing lines.

Not sure if I'm off the wall or not, but I've always taken this as a
reference to british politics. Yes, pre decimalisation is part of it,
but I take the "used to vote for him" line as a reference to all british
prime ministers being male until the 80's when we had the misfortune to
be subjected to the evils of baroness Thatcher. (Value judgements purely
mine, not Kate's here! Her reference restricts itself to the gender)

Mike