Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jane Siberry

From: Birdie <birdies@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 10:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Jane Siberry
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

CBlakey070@aol.com wrote:

> In term of Tori or Kate, I have to agree that I was bothered by a >few musical stylings of Tori that sounded, to my ears, lifted from >Kate.  I also found (find) it hard to swallow that Tori had never >heard Kate.

I don't.....Tori's musical stylings that remind you of Kate - anybody
can hear in the music and vocals of the late and great Laura Nyro,
whom both Tori and Kate credit as a major influence and influence.

And so, there you have it, except that Laura was, in the 60's, only
overshadowed by the fame of Janis Joplin.

What you hear in both of them, you will find in abundance in Laura.

> But it really doesn't matter.  Many people obvious love and are >soothed by Tori too.  I only wish that Kate had had more commercial >success in the States than what she has had. I am a bit jealous of >Tori in that sense.  But I have to admit it is a little silly to >worry about it all.

Agreed, and, with The Spice Girls having hit #1, there are much more
troubling matters to consider.

Cheers,

Birdie