Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kashka Plus ++

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:06:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Kashka Plus ++
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

shandralyn@juno.com wrote:

>>Suprised that no-one has mentioned the gay references in "Wow"  (and
>>explicit reference to two men shagging which got the video banned from
>>the UK "Top of the Pops"). >>
>
>I can't believe I forgot about that one! There's been lots of stuff I
>wanted to comment on lately - the list is sure a-buzz these days... but,
>I've been too swamped at work! Anyway, the gay themes of a few of Kate's
>songs intrigue me, as well, probably because I'm queer! ;) I always
>wondered how Kate  stood on the "issue", as the reference in Wow doesn't
>seem very positive, but Kashka's message is quite positive.

The line in "Wow" may not seem very positive but I never took it to be Kate
speaking as herself, but rather speaking as one of the characters in the
song.  It's a bitchy, backbiting sort of putdown from the sort of person
who would then go on to sarcastically say, "Ooh yeah, you're amazing / We
think you are really cool" and not mean a word of it.  One of the many
wonderful things tucked into that now-disowned video for "Wow" is Kate's
tiny pantomime of disapproval as she comes to that line, suggesting the
hidden meaning behind the words.  At least that's what I remember; it's
been a very long time since I last saw it...

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/