Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kashka Plus ++

From: shandralyn@juno.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:12:01 EST
Subject: Re: Kashka Plus ++
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

On Mon, 17 Mar 97 19:27:00 G Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk> writes:

>Suprised that no-one has mentioned the gay references in "Wow"  (and
>explicit reference to two men shagging which got the video banned from
>the UK "Top of the Pops"). >>

I can't believe I forgot about that one! There's been lots of stuff I
wanted to comment on lately - the list is sure a-buzz these days... but,
I've been too swamped at work! Anyway, the gay themes of a few of Kate's
songs intrigue me, as well, probably because I'm queer! ;) I always
wondered how Kate  stood on the "issue", as the reference in Wow doesn't
seem very positive, but Kashka's message is quite positive.

>Interesting that Kate writes on a gay threme in some of her very
>earliest music. Gay friends? Or purely a liberal outlook and
wide-ranging
>interest. Anyone know?     If you've any more thoughts on this I'd be
>interested.>

me, too!! :)

Oh, and I just remembered another thread I wanted to reply to - the
"favorite songs off TRS" thread. My favorites are "You're the One",
"Moments of Pleasure" and "Song of Solomon", but I love them all... I
suppose "Big Stripey Lie" is my least favorite, but still a wonderful
song. After the touching story posted by Elizabeth, I plan on giving it a
closer listen!

My story is related to "You're the One", though it's not quite so sad. In
short form, I had a relationship end, one that I thought would be the
"one" to last... No other breakup song comes as close to summing up my
feelings as Kate's... I still love the song - so beautiful and poignant
and true... In a strange way, the song makes me happy - it reminds me of
a beautiful relationship that, though it didn't last, gave me lots of
wonderful memories.

cheers!
-Shandra