Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Kick Inside Midi

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:42:27 -0600
Subject: RE: Kick Inside Midi
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
CC: btd@cray.com

>Hi len,

>> Great Job, Bryan!  First rate!
>>
>> ... even on this lowly soundblaster.

>The hardest part was getting the speed right, the album version
>speeds up and down *A LOT*. So I have tried to be as close as I
>could, but the speed seemed to change depending on the various
>MIDI players I have! Only by a small amount, it is right on one
>of the players I have.

I definitely commiserate.  For IrishSpace, we are recording two
instrumental
versions of Mna haEireann.  One is jazz rock with a steady tempo
and the other will be an acoustic number with the flute as melody.
We've learned it from Common Ground and while neither the progresssion
or melody are hard, trying to match the rubato effects of the melody
on the acoustic version ran us up the wall a bit.  Not something a
drum machine does well, so, out the door with the machine.  But when
we try to overdub... ack!!  We can use a click but that still doesn't
breathe as well.

>> Can I mirror this in the KateWorlds?

>Of course, I'm only too pleased that someone likes my efforts as
>much as I do.

Maybe more!  Anyway, thanks.  I'll add it to the list I have
of yours on the KateWorlds page.  People really enjoy your
midi's with the animation.

> Anyway, as Kate says, it's not who, but the music
>that is the important thing, and the important thing here is that
>a wonderful piece of music can be heard by many people.

Hmm.  Who counts.  That's why we love her.

>Hmmm, I wonder which piece I should tackle next?

Oooh... RUTH! RUTH!

I put some of the original RUTH on the KateWorlds.  The prox sensor
that sets off the animation also sets off the snippet after it loads.
That is the easiest to do but it is very hard to know when it
plays, so it has to be lightly coupled to the scene.

Audio timing in VRML is one of the most dicey issues.  We are
wrestling with that a lot for the CD of IrishSpace because the
audio end eventOut field is used to start the next sequence.
Where this gets funky is making the narration match the action.

It's been a very good learning project for doing 3D multimedia
but more than a trivial bit of work.  But, I get to go to
Ireland next month!!!

len