Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the *homosexual* theme

From: "Brian J. Dillard" <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 09:09:26 -0300
Subject: the *homosexual* theme
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Robb wrote:
----------------
Is it denigrating Kashka's
relationship (and therefore homosexuality) for needing more
light than the moon can provide? And does the moon/la lune refer
to what I think it does?
----------------
That depends. What do you think the moon/la lune refers to? I am
genuinely interested as this is one of my fave early kate tracks and I
never really attached much significance to that particular detail.

I do _not_ think the song denigrates homosexuality. *Wow* touches on gay
issues, too--the homophobia of the entertainment industry: *Hell never
play the scene/get to be that movie queen/hes too busy hitting the
vaseline* And get a load of that gesture in the video--Kate slapping her
ass to the last of the above-quoted lines.

If you are really into *Kashka,* you should definitely check out one of
the various versions of the home demos--the Shrubberies or Cathy Demos
bootlegs. The demo of Kashka has slightly different lyrics that provide
interesting insight into the evolution of the song.

My take on the lyrics (although I dont have them in front of me so this
may reflect personal bias more than textual evidence): the song is,
indeed, a celebration of a love so perfect and hidden that it needs no
outside validation. kate/the narrator wants to share in this love and/or
experience something so intense herself. I can't remember the exact
detail in the demos disc, but it seems to me that the demos lyrics may
suggest that kate has romantic feelings for kashka himself. Again, I
would have to give it a good listen to remember why I got that
feeling....

--
    Brian J. Dillard * mailto:dillardb@pilot.msu.edu
Relativity, the Music Webzine That Doesn't Discriminate