Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: HOL

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:55:58 -0600
Subject: RE: HOL
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Besides containing some of the most accessible works,
and The Ninth Wave, (which, IMO, is her masterpiece), for
the American listener, HOL is where many of us
first encounter Kate Bush.  It got just enough
attention despite the tawdry treatment of Running
Up That Hill, that many of us took notice.  The
NightFlight interview and the heavy airplay of
CloudBusting on VH-1 did the trick.  Then there
was the Max Headroom interview... a weird bit, but
it made for a fun Saturday morning.  ("WHO IS THIS???")

American tastes lag the rest of the world in the
avant-garde.  Somehow, HOL was happier, expressive,
and more fun than anything else before or since at
least for the American pop sensibilities.

RUTH remains one of my favorites.  I don't think anything
hit the mark quite so squarely until M'na ha Eireann.
I bought The Whole Story video collection on a hunch
and when I say the video for RUTH, well, that was
the end of my looking the other way.  She combined
what was sweetest and strongest in her voice and
emotions with the beautiful figure and face, and a
a hook that set deep.  HOL is still the best kate bush.

len