Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

HoL

From: "John D. Walker" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:14:38 -0600 (CST)
Subject: HoL
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Mmmmmmmm.... where to begin?

HoL was the first Kate Bush I ever heard.  My college roommate was a DJ
for the college radio station (WFIT in Melbourne, FL), and brought this
promo disk home one day and said "you've got to hear this stuff, it's
amazing!"  I, being completely into metal (Maiden, Priest, etc.) said
"So?"  But the songs stuck in my head, and I was familiar with the name
due to the heavy press blitz that occurred around the time TKI was
released, and also from the Benetar cover of "Wurthering Heights".

12 years later, I was in a CD store and on a whim, bought HoL (along with
Black Sabbath's Headless Cross and some other metal disk to cover all the
bases).  It seemed very familiar, yet new and different.  It's still my
sentimental favorite KT album, although I think The Dreaming is the best
she's done so far.  HoL is brilliant because it retains the experimental,
wild edge of The Dreaming yet makes it accessible without compromising a
whole lot.  KT's singing is also very strong - somehow "deeper" in a
spiritual sort of way than what had come before.

HoL (and The Dreaming) are unique in my record collection in that you
can't just throw them on and putter around in the house or whatever.
They demand your undivided attention.  The "special effects" (this isn't
really the right word) defy description.  How did she come up with this
stuff?  Somehow I find the existence of these albums strangly comforting
- just the fact that an artist could create something like this makes me
feel better about being a human being.

What an honor, Peter.  Thanks for letting us throw our 2 cents in!

JW      jdwalker@post.smu.edu

Enter the Realm - the LOCHINVAR Home Page!
http://members.aol.com/LordLknvar/realm.htm
Email: LordLknvar@aol.com