Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: An Irish Bush...

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 97 10:11:00 G
Subject: RE: An Irish Bush...
To: "'Love Hounds'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>, John M Shea <shea4@gort.canisius.edu>
Encoding: 39 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds

You've probably had thousands of answers to this one...

Yup, Kate is British/english but draws heavily on her irish roots (through
her mother, who was irish). Folk music was always a strong influence on the
household, and naturally enough Kate absorbed a strong empathy for irish
folk. Her two older brothers were also strong musical influences, and were
also into irish folk.

I suppose Kate is pretty english, but I can see a parallel in the way that
english, more than any other language, draws on and absorbs influences from
all over the world. See Kate's aborted emmigration to Australia in The
Dreaming, or the influences of Gurdjieffian thought on her early lyrics.