Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Cathy Demos CD?

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:22:18 -0800
Subject: Re: Cathy Demos CD?
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Scott Raile wrote:

> Would someone be kind enough to post a detailed review of "TWW Live"? I
> saw it in a store the other day and was underwhelmed by the details
> provided on the cover.  Where are these songs from? (I mean, I *know*
> where "The Wedding List" is from....but "Wow"?). How's the sound
> quality? In a word, is it worth buying?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

	The quality is not great -- but some of the tracks are
must-haves. "Wow" is from her "Hammersmith show, as are four (I
think) other tracks on this CD. Of those, "James and the Cold
Gun" is the full-length version (the one on the legitimate
"Hammersmith" CD has been edited). "Moments of Pleasure" is only
sort-of-live, as Kate lip-synched this on a UK TV show (Aspel?).

	"Under The Ivy" and "Breathing" are intimate tracks with
Kate sitting at the piano only, while RuTH and "Let It Be" are
from the Amnesty International Concert, and "The Wedding List"
(which is missing a line where the original source tape, I
guess, got messed up) is from the Prince's Trust Benefit.

	"Don't Give Up" is from a Peter Gabriel concert where
Kate showed up as the surprise guest. When she steps up to sing
the chorus, the crowd goes absolutely wild. Unfortunately, this
track was recorded from the audience, so the quality is not
particularly good. Still, it's a rush just to hear some guy in
the audience say, "No way!"

	WH, "Them Heavy People" and TMwtCihE are all from
"American TV shows" as the cover states...so my guess is SNL
circa 1979. But I didn't think she performed WH on that show.

	And "The Long And Winding Road" and "She's Leaving Home"
are two much-too-short covers of the Beatles' songs from a
Japanese TV show.

	Suffice it to say -- if you have TTI and the L-H
collection on videotape, you already have most of stuff on this
CD...you just don't have it on CD. I recommend it for "Under The
Ivy" alone.

	Robb