Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My Computer Why Should I Love You

From: Rolf.Peukert@Theoinf.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 97 16:59:30 +0100
Subject: Re: My Computer Why Should I Love You
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Ratnadeep Bhadra wrote:
> What do you all think of the new song on Prince's new set My Computer [...]
> What were your impressions of their last collaboration  on her Reds Shoes
> cd, "why should I love you"?

As a collaboration, it's much more successful IMHO. WSILY is a combination
of their styles, My Computer is just a nice Prince song with Kate's voice
somewhere in the background. I should add that I'm not a Prince fan,
I appreciate him as one of the few creative people in today's music business,
but there aren't many songs of his that I actually like.

I don't know if someone already transcribed Kate's impression of working
with Prince, from the TRS issue of the Kate Bush Club magazine (probably
still available and certainly worth the money, see the FAQ for ordering
instructions):

"_Why Should I Love You_ evolved from an R&B type song. I thought how
wonderful it would be to have Prince play guitar... little did I know.
I was so excited that he was interested in working on the track, we
sent the tapes to him and he sent them back. It appealed so much to
my sense of humour when we put up the tapes and there was bass, keyboards,
guitar and backing vocals, all working to a funk groove. Some elements
of the song were left but we put a lot of work into retrieving the
structure I wanted and working with Prince's performances, yet keeping
my original conception of it. It was extremely interesting for me and
I think the result is quite unusual. Prince is an extraordinary talent...
and a bit clever... In the time it took me to make one album he had
released three albums, completed two world tours, a TV special, various
videos and is still a better guitarist than me."

ciao,
Rolf