Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dali...

From: Julian Shaw <julian@dragonfire.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:15:24 +0000
Subject: Re: Dali...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In message , Caduta <caduta@aol.com> writes
>I can't help but think that there is some error with regard to the Cathy
>Demo song known as "Ferry Me Over" and, sometimes, referred to as "Dali."
>Could it be that, in the wild and wacky world of bootlegging, someone
>listening to the song might have thought that Kate was singing
>"Daaaaaa-liiiiiiiiii" when she was really singing
>"Daaaaaaar-liiiiiiiiiiing?"  I know that when singing "Warm and Soothing,"
>her "darling" sounds very much like "Dali," too, but we all know that it
>is, indeed, "darling."

The lyrics quoted in the discography section of Gaffaweb list the lyric
as "darling". However, IED's interpretation - which can also be found on
Gaffaweb - is that the word is "Dali".

That's good enough for me, but if you are not convinced you should bear
in mind that IED also mentions somewhere that when the song was played
on the Phoenix broadcast the DJ was apparently reading the titles
directly from the tape. He stated that the song was called "Dali", which
makes it rather more likely that Kate is singing that and not "darling".

You should also carefully listen to the third line, which is difficult
to decipher. There are a couple of possibilities:

"You've seen your own darling" (Gaffaweb);
"Lives Senora Dali" (IED)

I've listened to this track many times and I agree with IED that it
sounds like the latter. In the context of the song this would make
sense, as the lyrics appear to talk about a woman (Dali's wife) being on
her own as a result of Dali's dedication to his art:

"High...
 and/I can't see you
 - [then third line interpretation] -
 Alone
 And higher still
 She keeps her gallery.
 Distance means nothing
 To me.

CHORUS -
    Debris everywhere
    Gazing, it's amazing
    Ferry me over (x3)
    the music, Dali (or darling)

[Comment: Kate appears to emphasize the "i" in "Dali", which, of course,
sounds like "ee"]

 Deeper here
 Lie(s) hidden
 Answers and treasures for him.
 "Oh, I prefer absence," said she,
 "My heart grows fonder
 Alone." "

(Beautiful lyrics, eh?)

If you you want to check the lyrics, point your browser at:

http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/sensual/l_demo1.html#d_dali
(IEDs interpretation)

http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/discog/songs/dali.html
(discography section of Gaffaweb)

If only Kate could be persuaded to comment on *all* the demo lyrics.....

.....put that on my 1997 wishlist.

(BTW, I can't post this to the newsgroup at the moment as my ISP is
experiencing severe problems in that area.)

Julian