Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Skating to Kate?

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:52:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Skating to Kate?
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Rick (lanhamca@aol.com) observes:

>     Tonight on TV they are showing a skating competition with
>"Rock & Roll" as the theme.  I started to wonder if Kate's
>music had ever been used in a competition.  Anyone ever
>noticed that happening?

On two separate occasions I've seen televised skating performances in which
"This Woman's Work" was used as the score.  Unfortunately, I can't for the
life of me remember who the skaters were, but both occasions were
international competitions.  (That should narrow it down a bit, he added
sarcastically.)

>What song would you like to see used in an ice skating contest?

"Ken" and "The Red Shoes" come to mind.  Michael Rees suggested "Under Ice"
which is a very good idea...but I think it's a little too short, and it
doesn't have the strident tempo that most professional skaters seem to like
for their preformances these days. (Michael also seems to be quoting from
Eno's Oblique Strategies, or am I completely off base here?)

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/