Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Paula Cole

From: "Tom Ford" <tomivd@spimageworks.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:59:55 -0800
Subject: Re: Paula Cole
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> > Paula Cole, a slinky singer-songwriter whose art-rock
> > vocal idiosyncrasies -- sudden octave leaps, chilling
> > screams, etc. -- bear some resemblance to those of
> > Kate Bush and Tori Amos, opened the evening with a
> > fine 40-minute set.
> >
> > Accompanying herself at the piano and backed by
> > imaginative drummer Jay Bellerose, the 28-year-old
> > chanteuse served up six poignant originals (including
> > _Happy_Home_, _Throwing_Stones_, _Mississippi_ and
> > the eerie _Hitler's_Brothers_) before closing with a
> > hip reading of Dolly Parton's 1974 classic, _Jolene_.

I've seen Paula live four times and on each occasion she has been utterly
amazing and she gets my highest recommendations.  She has two CDs
out--HARBINGER (94) and THIS FIRE (96).  She also appears on Peter Gabriel's
SECRET WORLD LIVE double CD, as she was his backing vocalist for much of that
tour.  Favorite songs are "Happy Homes," "I Am So Ordinary," and "Bethlehem"
all from her brilliant HARBINGER disc.

Check her out.

-Tom

      "that boy--he lives inside of his own heart.
         that's a mighty big place to live in."
				-billy bob thornton
				 'sling blade'

tom ford	                              inferno ta
310/840-8095	                sony pictures imageworks