Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Laurie Alanis Tori Cibo Happy Jane O'Connor

From: Mukamuk <Mukamuk@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:51:42 -0800
Subject: Kate Laurie Alanis Tori Cibo Happy Jane O'Connor
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Cc: mukamuk@pacbell.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

(snip)
> <<  I mean people might look at Alanis (and do) and they'd say, "oh , she's
>  just a Kate clone"  she kind of looks similar and her voice fluctuates
>  quite a lot in her songs, like Kate.(snip)
> Alanis and Kate don't look similar...I just don't see
> it, unless the fact that they both have dark hair is all you see.  And
> Alanis'  voice does fluctuate, as well as many other artist's voice, but
> never like Kate's.(snip)
> Alanis is in a class of
> her own, just as are many great artists like Happy Rhodes, Joni Mitchell,
> Tori Amos, Jane Siberry and of course, last but certainly not least, KATE
> BUSH.  It's no slam to say any of them are no Kate Bush.(snip)

HALLELUJAH!  there's the truth! (thanks Samantha!)

Why growl'n'moan about preferences?  You know, whether we all individually turn
out to like or hate these artists, I'm glad they're mentioned here because I
think it's still worth our time to check them out, as all of them do bear some
similarity -- but that is NOT to say they are influenced by, or steal from, or
follow in the footsteps of, or are better than, KATE.

(For what it's worth (and it ain't necessarily much), IMO, Sinead O'Connor &
Cibo Matto bear more likeness to Kate than Alanis or Tori, but they haven't come
up because they're not IN MASSIVE VOGUE like A & T.)  Laurie, Happy, Joni & Jane
ride a middle ground.  (And again I stress, I like some, I don't like others, or
I'm indifferent...)

It's no slam at all if you don't worship them all.  Kwitcher bitchen & move on,
we've all got the right to our preferences, even the supposedly shameful ones.
(You want proof?  I confess to my societally-imposed shame of loving Jethro
Tull, Nine Inch Nails and Timbuk 3, and yet I'm still as much of a love-hound as
anyone here... go figure!)

Could we move on to something else?  Like, perhaps, the possibility that Kate
might be depressed these days?  (thanks Chris of C&V)  I've had experience in
this realm myself recently & I know that it can take a person, no matter how
strong, away from themself and into a terrifying space full of fear and doubt
and self-hatred... and the events shaping Kate's life have not been the happiest
lately.  And it's no "downer" or "funky mood," it's something that takes over
entirely.  Thoughts??

--Mukamuk